Saturday, April 6, 2013

Happy Birthday, Kate!

On April 3, 2013 at 12:33 p.m., Katherine Anne Roberts made her entrance! Here is her first picture:





Our beautiful "little" Kate weighed 8 lbs, 12 oz and was 21-1/4 inches long. No wonder that just a few hours earlier, I looked like this:




Jeremy and I arrived at the hospital at about 6:30 a.m. for my induction, and Kate was born just over six hours later. What many of my friends and family told me was true: things progress much more quickly with a second baby! This was simultaneously awesome and stressful, only because I had the privilege/"privilege" of being cared for by both a trainer nurse and a trainee nurse. I say privilege because both were incredibly kind and compassionate. I say "privilege" (ironic quotation marks) because honestly? It made me a nervous wreck. If you've had a baby, you know that upon arrival, they ask you many questions. This should go quickly but went more like this:

    • Trainer nurse: Does anyone in your family have a history of kidney disease? 
    • Me: No.
    • Trainer nurse to trainee nurse: Okay, so what you'll do is open this drop-down menu and select blah blah, and then, in this field, type in... 
To put it mildly, this was annoying. I never felt like anyone was paying 100% attention to me (and I think Jeremy was about ready to judo chop someone or something). So, the MILLISECOND I felt pain, I was all, "I'M READY FOR MY EPIDURAL!" since I knew it was going to take FOREVER to get it administered. Then later, when I felt that Kate was getting ready to make her entrance, I was all, "I THINK THE BABY HAS DROPPED!" And once she did, let's just say that Kate was VERY eager to be born - so much so that my OB wasn't there yet! Other than seeing Luke be born and Kate be born, the next happiest I've ever been to see someone is when Dr. Cope walked into the delivery room - I knew it wouldn't be long before Kate was with us, safe and sound.

After some quality time with Mommy and Daddy, Kate met some family members: her Honey and Grand, Grandma and Grandpa, Granny, Aunt Mary, Uncle Chris, Uncle Bobby, and Uncle Johnny. AND... she met her big brother, Luke! Here's the best picture we could manage: 

Luke was not quite sure what to make of little sister. He was coming off a crazy day, as his routine was TOTALLY off kilter. Honey took him to school instead of Daddy; after school he came to the hospital instead of Honey and Grand's house, then went to his afternoon school, and then came back to the hospital.. it was weird, and he was stressed. This picture was taken at around 6:00 p.m., and if there was a thought bubble above Luke's head, I think it would read, "This day has been b-a-n-a-n-a-s. Can I just go home?" 

It was a bananas day, but it was also wonderful, beautiful, and miraculous! We were and are so overjoyed to have our little girl with us!

Love,
Jeremy, Lisa, Luke, and Kate :)

No comments: