Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Fabulous February - Trips to Aggieland and an Aquarium

The first weekend of February marked a special treat: Mom and Dad kept Luke so that Jeremy and I could go to a basketball game in College Station. Dad has gotten season tickets to men's and women's basketball games and football games for years, and it is such a great treat to go when we can. So in December, Dad emailed the kids a schedule, asking us to pick a game to attend. I took a rather cursory glance and picked: oooh, we should DEFINITELY go when A&M plays Kansas. They're a powerhouse! Jeremy will be so excited!


One oopsie on my part though: I selected the date of a women's game. No disrespect to the women's basketball enthusiasts out there, but you all know that wasn't what I had in mind. I nervously called Jeremy once I realized my gaffe, and he was an awesome sport. I can't remember his exact words, but they were along these lines: "It's a night away. I don't even care. Besides, they'll probably play better than the A&M men."

True that!

So, we dropped off our sweet monkey at his Honey and Grand's and hit the road! We listened to The Ticket together until the signal died, and then we listened to the iPod and sang along to songs that weren't from Veggie Tales or PBS Kids shows. It was awesome.

The main highlights of the trip:
1)After we checked in to our hotel, I took Jeremy on a tour of the campus. It was kind of cool and windy, but we both enjoyed it - though I probably did more. It's hard to believe it's been almost 12 years since I graduated. (Pardon my French, but s*%t was that a hard sentence to type! Damn you, Father Time!) It was great to take in the campus again - made me feel so nostalgic!
2)Before the game, we went to dinner. I already felt far too old after the campus tour, so I wanted to dine somewhere off of Northgate... you know, where people in their 30s wouldn't look like some strange endangered species. I chose Caffe Capri in downtown Bryan. If you take anything away from this post, it should be this: you absolutely MUST make your way to this restaurant if you're in the B/CS area. AMAZING Italian food. My stomach longs for it as I type this!
3)The game! The DEFENDING NATIONAL CHAMPION* Lady Aggies eked out a win against a surprisingly good Kansas team. Here's the view from our great seats:


*I don't know if I'll ever be able to say something like that about A&M in a major sport, so I have to cherish it! 
 
3b)If you take anything else away from this post, it should be this: you will have to work hard to stifle giggles at the INTENSE fans of Aggie Women's Basketball. Many who surrounded us were maybe twice our age, but they were SUPER into the game and getting FURIOUS at any call that didn't go the Ags' way. WOW!

The other big thing in our February - a trip to the Sea Life Aquarium at Grapevine Mills Mall! We risked the trip, knowing it would be expensive, but not knowing how into it Luke would be. Well fortunately, he was riveted! I recommend you check it out if you can. I was quite impressed with all it had to offer. We will definitely be back! Some pictures:

It's a little hard to see, but Jeremy's face is awesome. :)

 Luke checking out the fish - he's fascinated!
 Sting rays!


They have glass floors where you can look down at everything swimming by. This freaked me OUT.
They also had these little pods that kids could get into and look "inside" the aquarium. Not surprisingly, Mr. "I Love to Be in Small Spaces" thoroughly enjoyed this!
SHARKS! (Seriously, this is, in the words of my high school students, LEGIT. Real sharks! I was in awe.)

This is what a shark's undercarriage* looks like.
 *I don't think anyone remotely scientific calls this an undercarriage, but I like it, and I'm sticking with it. I like how it looks like it has a little smile. Looks totally innocuous from underneath, but some little creature swims up and it is suddenly shark lunch. Animal kingdom = crazy! 


And how do you know the Sea Life Aquarium is a hit? Because Luke looks like this long before we got to the car:

Aquarium = SUCCESS!

No comments: