Saturday, September 4, 2010

Two Good to Be True!


It's been almost three weeks since I last posted, and with good reason: we've been so busy! Between my return to work, Luke's start at day care three days a week, and Jeremy's new job with more frequent travel, we have had our hands quite full. We've also spent some time planning and enjoying celebrations of Luke's 2nd birthday! It's so hard to believe that two years have passed since Luke was born. In some ways, it feels like it wasn't all that long ago that we were in the hospital meeting our little Luke. In others... wow, how long it has seemed!
We celebrated with family and friends last weekend at the fantastic Treehouse at The Church at the Cross in Grapevine. Our theme: Sesame Street! I have to take a moment to pat myself on the back for the single crafty thing I have done for Luke: the favor bags for his party. Behold -


Seriously, I'm so proud of myself. It's amazing that only a month ago I could actually spend time doing something like this since today stacks of papers needing grading await me. Case in point: I did the bags before I started back to work, and the cupcakes? Courtesy of Sam's. Aren't they pretty though? : )



Before we opened presents, Luke spent some quality climbing time in the Treehouse.


Next, it was time to open presents. If you know Luke at all, you know that sitting still is not his strongsuit. We had to bribe him to keep him next to the gift opening. Enter... grapes. So the little prince sat and ate grapes while I opened his presents. All we were missing were giant palm fronds to cool him.




Next... cupcakes! Luke was tickled to death to hear "Happy Birthday" sung to him. The only thing he would have liked more would have been extinguishing his birthday candle with his hand, so we had to protect him from himself.




He was even so polite as to feign interest in this cupcake for a picture. It's so odd to me that my baby doesn't like desserts. It's all fruit all the time for him! On the bright side, we didn't have to spend a lot of time cleaning blue frosting out of his clothes and hair.

On Luke's actual birthday (September 3), he got to celebrate with the other little boys with August and September birthdays at his school! It was pretty darling actually. Surprisingly, Luke obliged with wearing his birthday hat for a decent amount of time! I was so pleased.


He was a little clingy once Jeremy and I were there, so I sat next to him as he awaited the awesome frog cupcakes someone else's mommy brought. (I brought napkins and plates. Underachiever, I know...)



Luke tried cupcakes again this time - just a bit of frosting. He'll have a sweet tooth yet, I just know it!




Naturally, that cupcake was on the floor in about .5 seconds after this photo was taken. Can't win 'em all!

Thanks so much to all of you who celebrated with us! Luke is so blessed to be so loved, and we are so blessed to have him to love. I could never adequately expressed how humbled and grateful I am to be his mommy! Happy Birthday, Lucas James! We love you so very much!

3 comments:

Sarah C. said...

Happy Birthday, Luke! Nice work on the party favor bags! If it makes you feel better Henry gagged at his cake, and he gags when I let him taste ice cream. Little weirdo!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Luke! You are super loved! Love, The Mareks

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Luke! You are super loved! Love, The Mareks