Sunday, November 25, 2012

The Glorious Thanksgiving Break of 2012

In about ten hours, it will be bedtime on a school night... but since last Saturday, we've enjoyed an absolutely WONDERFUL extended Thanksgiving holiday! I am so blessed that my school district gives us an entire week off for Thanksgiving. I'm always so thankful for this, as it falls just when the teachers and students have about HAD it! :)


This year, we had an event-filled nine days! Last Saturday, my parents were so generous as to give Jeremy and me their tickets to the A&M-Sam Houston State football game. They kept Luke while we enjoyed a beautiful day - and lots of "windshield time" to actually catch up and have a conversation. (It's been a BUSY November!) Here's the team making its entrance (or as best as I could capture it with the shadow): 


I'll go on and say it - I am THANKFUL (and overwhelmed with disbelief) at how amazing of a football season the Aggies have had in their first year in the SEC! I fully expected a year of butt kickings... but the kind we received instead of dished out! It was so much fun seeing Kyle Field so energized. What a day, and what a season! Thanks, too, to my parents for watching our little Monkey Muke so we could enjoy this special treat. 

Even though I had a whole week off, Luke still had three days of "little school" (our name for the Brent Woodall Foundation). Here he is before his part-time work day on the Monday of Thanksgiving week. And yes, it was hard to get that precious face out of our bed and dressed for school! :)


On a less fun note, we squeezed in three doctors' appointments into our first two days of break: Luke's ENT check-up, a visit to his regular pediatrician to check out his eczema (which I correctly diagnosed sans doctor... I RULE), and a check up for me. Two highlights (I'll save you the less-than-awesome parts): 1)We learned that Luke has grown over 1.5 inches since his four-year check-up... wow! and 2)I headed to see my cousin's wife, Becca, who is in antepartum care to monitor her 24-week old twin babies, Harper and Carson. I didn't want to finish this post without a solicitation for prayer for her, her family, and those babies. You can read more about them at their family blog. We're praying that Harper and Carson cook in Becca's belly for a good four more weeks, at least! 

Tuesday was a big day - Jeremy and I celebrated our EIGHTH wedding anniversary! We treated ourselves to a fantastic dinner at Kirby's Steakhouse in Southlake. Our babysitter Katie came over, and Jeremy and I had an AMAZING dinner. Seriously, if you've never been to Kirby's, we were very impressed and highly recommend it. We kicked off five days of gluttony with a decadent meal! 

By the way, I'm a nerd (obviously), but I have to share the front of my anniversary card to Jeremy, which I enhanced. I'm just so thankful for our little wolf pack! (If you look closely, you'll see I even did a place-holder for our little wolf on-the-way*.)


*Speaking of the wolf on the way - I went back to the doctor on November 5, and though I was 17 weeks - plenty of time to tell if we have a boy or a girl - this child was STILL super modest and kept his or her foot where it concealed his or her "business." We are crossing our fingers, toes, legs, etc. that our December 3 sonogram will give us pink-blue confirmation!!! 

Our Thanksgiving celebrations were great! On Thursday, we went to my aunt Sussie and uncle Jimmy's place for lunch with the Calvert family. Like a dork, I didn't take any pictures, but dinner was absolutely fantastic! It was a special treat having Honey and Grand over there this year, too, since the Aggies no longer have a Thanksgiving Day game. It was a great time with Mom, Dad, Granny, Chris, Sussie, Jimmy, Missi, Walter, William, Wynn, Lily, Michael, and Meredith. (And believe it or not, that's roughly half of a typical Calvert gathering! My family is ginormous!)

On Friday, we headed to Winona to stay at Grandma and Grandpa's (Jeremy's parents) and enjoy SO MUCH FOOD. Oh my goodness - we stuffed ourselves silly. Again, like a nimrod, I took no pictures, but Luke had a blast out in the country playing outside. It was awesome getting to see Grandma, Grandpa, Bobby, Lori, Michelle, Brent, Audra, Halle, and Parker. We missed Alex and Alyssa, but we're excited for the whole Roberts gang to be together at Christmas! 

Now, we're picking up the messes from a week off, doing laundry, and gearing up for a return to the hectic school and work schedule. BUT... what a great week it has been. I think the greatest blessing of time off is that things slow down. In my case at least, slowing down and savoring the blessings we have soothes the soul in ways I can't describe. I'm sure that in less than 24 hours, I'll be somewhat bogged down in the day-to-day stresses of the work week. BUT I'm hopeful that I stay mindful of the peace I've felt this past week thanks to the time I've had to savor the good things in life. As I've thought about this blog post, I've been reminded of Philippians 4:11-13: "...I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength." Updating this blog so much this weekend has reminded me that my family has plenty... and there is so much to be thankful for. 

Have a great final week of November! I hope you and yours had a wonderful Turkey Day, too! 

No comments: